Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Hold my hand



Children are a blessing. They are. So much that God uses them to teach us about Him. I remember pondering this reality many years ago when my then 3 year old A1 reminded me not to say "Oh, my gosh!", because it sounded too much like "Oh my God!", and God didn't want us talking like that about Him.


I was walking with little A3 one day and asked her to take my hand. She runs off saying nothing, and shortly after tumbles down. I said "Oops, baby girl, you should have been holding my hand." Then on another day the same thing happens....I say "Let me hold your hand", and she runs off. Clumsy (and stubborn) little thing she is this time she trips on something she didn't see and skins a knee. I tell her "If you would of been holding mommy's hand you wouldn't of fallen, because I saw that limb on the ground and I would have held you up". There have been many times since then that she will hold my hand, she'll lose her step, and I'll hold her up. After one of those times she turned and looked and me and said "You hold me mommy". Not as a question, but a statement. She knew I would hold her up.


This led me to wonder....how many times does this same scenario happen between God and I?

He's there walking beside, telling me to hold His hand....and off I run.

I'm trying to get to where I'm going faster.

No time to slow down.

Expecting God to keep up.

He's with me wherever I go anyway?

And then I wonder why I fell and got hurt.

He patiently tells me again to hold His hand.

He can see those things in my path that can cause me to fall.


When I stumble along the way His mighty hand can pull me up.

And I'll know without question...."Lord, you hold me."


Isn't it great the way God can use a child to teach us something?

How about you? Has God ever taught you something through a child?

Are you running somewhere by yourself today?


"Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand." Psalm 73:23

6 comments:

Carpio Family said...

Mann, that's great.

I think so many times we forget to "hold on." or even give up the control.

On my last 'fall', i was doing just that, questioning what happened?.

I heard a song on the radio i hadn't before and just bawled saying... ' i Know, get up again, try again."

Then the next day i forgot, and started running on my own just slightly.
Carlos turned on the blog music.... I just looked at him and while tearing up, just said " ok Lord, got the memo", it was that same song, evidently Carlos had put it on the Play list days before.

Praise Him for Grace.

-Kaylene Carpio

brickmomma said...

very well pointed out!!

who you runnin' with tomorrow? :)

Becky said...

Very nicely shared! My stubborn 3 yr. old runs ahead when I tell her to hold my hand as well! :o)
I've been taught something as well lately through my kids.......I'll share on my blog soon.
Thanks for this reminder!

Quiltermama said...

I think He carries a big spatula in his other hand (or a pooper scooper?) to scrape you off the pavement as well to help you back up! :-) Not from personal experience, of course! ;-) Loved the insight!!!

Suzan said...

OR, sometimes he uses a friend to teach us something! thanks, friend, for the reminder. I have been running ahead way too much lately!

Anonymous said...

What lovely thoughts you have shared, Maria! I think God felt I needed heavy doses of humility and the dosage seems to be getting bigger as they are becoming teens! Hope all is well with you and your family! Are you still in school? -Blessings, Nancy