It was the first time my kids experienced grief. It took me a little time to realize it. It hurt my son especially. There's something about a boy and his dog. He cried and it broke my heart. The next day he told me"I don't know what this feeling is. Every time I think about Gus I cry, and it hurts here". (pointing to his chest) I had to explain to him that he was greiving. Such a difficult concept to grasp.
Annaliese has finally stopped going outside calling for him.

The day it happened I called a neighbor where Gus frequently visited. He had just spent several days on their property and I wanted to let her know. We discussed what the possibilities where of why he may have died, and then she mentioned to me her cute english bulldog had been gone the same day Gus was gone. We were sure the friends went off on a rendevous. She told me there could be the possibility that her dog was pregnant.
She called me last week to let me know.....her dog is expecting...due in a week or two....and most likely our Gus is the daddy!! She's going to allow us to have first pick of the pups. The kids are so excited. While it won't replace our Gusy Gus, we're happy to be able to bond with another puppy that is a part of him.
There was a part of this experience that made me not want to have another pet....ever....
It was hard to watch the kids go through the grief.
But I realized what a teachable moment it had become.
We talked about death. About heaven. And the joy of heaven.
And who before us is in heaven.
And how Gus is playing with all of them right now...chasing his tail....
They were able to experience the grieving process and come to understand what loss was......
Before they ever had to experience it through losing a family member.
I know they will someday. It's a fact of life.
So I'm thankful for our sweet Gus.
And the joy he gave to our family.
And the joy he left behind :)
7 comments:
i knew Alex was hurt really bad when i opened the door and he ran into my arms! he was sooo sad. it made me sad! I'm glad y'all get to get another dog though!!! :)
I am so sorry! I heard about this the other day when Annaliese was talking about him in the resource room. My heart broke for you and your family! And I have to say that my heart was broken, too, I remember the little rascal yipping and nipping at the kids when he was just a little baby!! I called Trey and told him and together we are praying for your family!!! We know grief well here and our hearts break with yours as well! Enjoy the new puppy...it will bring some peace into your family's life.
I am so sorry. We have lost 2 cats and 1 dog in the past 2 years (extremely bad luck or what). It is devestating to our kids, and they still cry sometimes out of the blue for our cat that we lost last summer. They know way to much already about how much it hurts to loose something you love. We are praying for you guys.
So sorry to hear about Gus. :-( It is sweet, though, that your kids will get to pick out one of his babies for their own.
what happened?
We have so done that & it is terrible! I understand.
i bet the new puppy will by C*U*T*E like his daddy!!!!
I remember hearing about this happening! So sad but, like you said, can be used in a good way to teach something that is hard to face. Glad you will have a part of him again soon!
Post a Comment