Tuesday, January 15, 2008

And so I ran

I did it. Yesterday I ran. I intended on just walking, but walking didn't satisfy me. So I started running. A slow jog at first, but I gained some momentum and was soon in a full run. I thought for sure my body would give out in a short distance. But I felt my body filled with an inner strength I didn't know I possessed. And so I ran. Heart racing. Feat pounding. Throat burning from the chilly air. Riding alongside was my sweet boy on his bike. I'm not sure how long I ran without stopping - but it was the half circle of my street. (I know my wonderful neighbor has that distance measured, so maybe she could tell me.)

It was glorious. I felt so triumphant. And once again I felt God's presence. I needed Him so much. The only reason I stopped was because I felt Him speaking to me. I heard it so clear it was almost like an audible voice. So I walked a bit and prayed. I looked ahead and behind me and realized that my son had gone home. Was tired I guess, or stayed to play with his friend down the street. I started to run the distance home. This time my throat burned more, I struggled to keep my breathing at a steady pace. One of the keys to running is keeping your breathing steady, through your nose, and I was failing miserably now. I kept gulping air through my mouth as if it were in limited supply. My mouth was getting dry. But I wasn't going to give up yet. I'm sure I looked pathetic. I could imagine my legs looked like they were flailing. My run no longer those long pounding strides, but more like a sad attempt to lift them one inch off the ground.

Off in the distance I could see something coming towards me. At this point it was getting dark and even my eyesight was failing me. Was it a dog coming to chase me off his street? I had gotten off easy and had only been chased by a chihuahua so far. Was it a car about to confuse me for a speedbump? There are people down this street that know only one speed....super fast.

Ah....but no....the Lord is so good. It was my sweet boy riding back to me with a bottled water in his hand. I think I saw a halo over his head.

"For I will pour out water to quench your thirst....and I will pour out my spirit on your descendants, and my blessing on your children." Isaiah 44:3

8 comments:

Mattison said...

WAY TO GO MRS. MYRNA!!!!!

alice said...

Great Job, Myrna!!! And Great Job Baby Boy! What a sweetie!!!

Shannon said...

Good for you! And you tell it so well. I loved reading that!

brickmomma said...

That was a great story......yay for you!

Now do it again tomorrow :)

TBSHARP said...

Maybe you entitle the next one "And so I blogged"

Nicole said...

You made me understand more vividly why Donnie misses running so much (since he hurt his knee.) That was a great read..... thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I remember the closeness with God when I would run I do miss that time we spent together. If I could just be alone with him again.

Becky said...

Hi Myrna!
Found your blog through the brick! I run on my treadmill and it's definately not the same as being outside with Him! Thanks for sharing.