Sunday, January 6, 2008

I'm trying to remember...

Remember how it felt to run. For no reason. To run just for the joy of running. I used to run 2 miles a day, all through high school, then for years up until we moved here. I thought it was 2, until today that I mentioned to a friend that I knew where my 2 mile mark was because I used to run to my neighbor's house when we lived in Washington (TX, not DC) and she lived almost exactly 2 miles away. Then friend said "Then how would you get back?", to which I replied, "Well, run back of course!". To which she mentioned "Then you ran 4 miles, not 2". DUH! So cool, I used to run 4 miles. And I do remember loving it. I'd wear my oldest pair of worn running shoes, put my hair up, and off I went. Sometimes alone, sometimes the kids would tag along on bikes. My best runs were out in Old Washington. There was some straight road and then a slight hill, which I dreaded when I would start, but loved the challenge every time, then would love the boost going down hill. I loved waving at the neighbors, then running at the speed of light when their dogs were loose. It was on one of these runs that my then 3 year old son insisted I take off his training wheels on from his bike because he couldn't go fast enough to keep up with me. I told him ,"Once they come off I'm not putting them back on"....and they've never gone back on.

Mainly, I miss my time with God when I would run. I wouldn't carry anything to listen to music. I remember running with my face looking towards the sky and talking with God. I knew the road well - I didn't have to worry where my feet fell. Sometimes I would walk and talk....sometimes I would stop and listen. Sometimes there was no talking...just the feeling of companionship.

I remember the days He uplifted me with a gentle breeze. I remember the days pleading for that breeze but felt none. I remember the lessons He taught through watching a cloud, a stream, an animal (dead or alive), or the traffic.

I also remember the satisfaction running brought me. That feeling like I had just done something magnificent for my body. I had just given it a gift. Sometimes I would push myself a little farther just to surprise myself at how amazing this body God had given me was. There were also the days it was all I could do to keep from asking my neighbor for a ride home.

I want to start running again. As I was contemplating how I would make my body endure the few weeks of torture that it takes to get accustomed to running again I started to wonder "Why?". I need to know why I used to love running so much - to give me inspiration to do it again. Is this something I can realistically do again? Do I have the time? Can my knees still take it ?(they crackle every time I bend) Can running down my street give me the same satisfaction as I had when I ran down those country roads? Should I not hold those expectations?

Well, I guess there's only one way to find out. Even if I don't make it as a runner again, I'm sure walking would be good for me, too. Any runners out there that can offer some inspiration ......I feel I'll be needing it...desperately.

7 comments:

so much more without words. said...

you can run to my house...but watch out for the dogs!

Kimberly Mallett said...

Hey Myrna, I just discovered your blog. I have one too but ont on blogger...In fact I am a little behind in my posting on it. (Oh well)
Anyway, I have been wanting to learn to run this year...I am totally out of shape but would love to learn. Maybe we can go walking sometime...I doubt I can keep up with your running at this point although I might soon! LOL

The Saenz Family Rawks said...

I miss running too. You should move up to Mansfield so that we can start again together. We have three parks in a 3 mile circle with running trails connecting them. I played hopscotch with Nathan for about an hour and nearly died....perhaps I'll start walking first before my massive runnng attempt.
Speaking of running, Kalea is running around with her Dora panties on her head, I'd better stop her before she runs into something and breaks one of her $200 teeth. She sure misses her buddy.

TBSHARP said...

Here is some inspiration... If you collapse outside my house, I will bring you some oreos.

alice said...

Oh Myrna... run some for me!!! I'm still months away from such bliss. I have a book that is EXCELLENT to get you started. It's how I started and I'll use it again when that day comes. Let me know if you want to borrow...

brickmomma said...

Wow - you must live in the right part of town! Just start a little at a time.....you can do anything, you are perfect, right ? ;)

Carpio Family said...

Yea! Exercise, I seriously love exercising. I used to love to run, but the punding hurts my knees. So now i do the eliptical at golds. If you start off wlking and build up to running, it's a lot easier.
-Kaylene Carpio